May 3, 2020, 3:13 AM

Maharashtra Health Minister Rajesh Tope announced that all citizens would be covered under state government’s free health insurance scheme. Tope also said that Maharashtra would be the first one to implement this ‘cashless’ scheme.

Tope said 85% of the state’s population has been covered under the Mahatma Jyotiba Phule Jan Arogya Yojana (MJPJAY) at present and the cover will be extended to the remaining 15%. Also, a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed to include government, semi-government employees as well as white ration card holders in the same scheme to ensure private hospitals don’t overcharge patients.

Tope said, “The government has signed an MoU with the General Insurance Public Sector Association (GIPSA) for the treatment of COVID-19 patients at private hospitals in Pune and Mumbai. Earlier, 496 hospitals were covered in the scheme, but now over 1,000 hospitals will come under it. As per the Disaster Management Act and Epidemic Act, the state government has also capped the fees of COVID-19 treatment at private hospitals.”

Also read: ‘Ramayan’ becomes world’s most viewed TV show, beats ‘GOT’ and ‘The Big Bang Theory’

To Comment please login Add Comment

Latest Articles

close ads